Saturday, September 13, 2014

Zamenhof's 1917 Declaration of Homaranism

In my previous post I wrote a little bit about the life of L.L. Zamenhof, and why even though he was certainly idealistic, I don't think it is fair or accurate to characterize him as "naive". In this post I present an English translation of Zamenhof's 1917 Declaration of Homaranism (Deklaracio pri Homaranismo) (pgs. 235-242 of "Mi Estas Homo", an Esperanto anthology of Zamenhof's letters and philosophical writings). I think it is unlikely that anyone will ever establish a Homaranist organization, nevertheless, the problems that Zamenhof was trying to use Homaranism to solve are as serious today as they were in his day. So whether one agrees with the principles and methodology of Homaranism or not, I think Zamenhof's ideas on the causes and solutions to human conflict are valuable at least as food for thought for modern discussions of these same topics.

This version of the Declaration was sent out by Zamenhof just two months before his death, but the fact that he had been continuously revising it up to that point, and that he specifically solicited comments and suggestions on this version suggests that he would have kept on revising it if he had lived longer. The translation is by me from the original Esperanto of Zamenhof. I'm not an expert translator, but I don't know of any other English translation. If you see any mistakes, I'm happy to correct them. If you know of a better translation, I'd be happy to link to it.

A couple notes on the translation:
1. I leave the Esperanto words "Homaranismo" and "Homarano" essentially untranslated, rendering them as "Homaranism" and "Homaranist" respectively. To get at the meaning of the Esperanto word, we break it into its five parts: hom-ar-an-ism-o.
hom = human,
ar = a group,
an = a member of a group,
ism = a doctrine or movement (just like the English suffix),
o = a noun.
So homaranismo literally means "the doctrine of being a member of humanity treated as unified whole." I don't think there is a pithy English equivalent (Ian M. Richmond translates it "Humanityism", others have translated it "Humanism", others "humanitarianism"), so I don't translate it.

2. For the most part it is close to a literal word for word translation and I tried to avoid taking stylistic liberties.

3. Zamenhof frequently uses the word "gento", which can mean "race", "people", or "ethnicity". I have translated it nearly always as "ethnicity".

Homaranism

Under the name "Homaranism" (from the Esperanto word "Homarano", which means: "member of the human family") I wish to speak about the struggle towards "human-ness", towards the elimination of inter-ethnic hatred and injustice, and towards the kind of lifestyle which, little by little could lead us not theoretically, but practically, to the spiritual union of humanity. [footnote from the original: I beg your pardon for using a word from the Esperanto language because in the natural languages I was not able to find a fitting expression, but the name that I used is merely provisional -- the definitive name of the idea about which I'm talking will be established later by the friends of the idea itself.]


Because I am known as the author of the Esperanto language, it is possible that many people will identify Homaranism with Esperanto; however, that would be an error. While the essence of Esperanto is politically and religiously totally indifferent and the internal idea of Esperanto manifests itself only as an indefinite brotherly feeling and hope, which each esperantist has a right to not only elaborate for himself as he likes, but also to accept or reject in general, -- Homaranism is a specific and well defined politico-religious program, which presents my purely private belief and does not at all concern other esperantists.

But if in relation to Esperanto my politico-religious belief is my totally personal business, in all other relations it has in it absolutely nothing personal. That which I call "Homaranism", is not something new, thought up by me personally; it is a manifestation of a set of principles, which -- perhaps not at the same level of detail, but approximately the same in essence -- has already for a long time been held in the hearts of many people from all times, lands, and ethnicities. It is to those people that I now turn.

We all know that we belong to one big family whose good health must be very dear to us; we all know that hate and injustice between ethnicities is a bad and ugly thing; we all want to not be chauvinistic "members of an ethnicity", but only "humans" and honest citizens of our countries. But for our principles to have some kind of real value and be able to bear some kind of fruit, it is necessary that we confess them not secretly and changing according to the needs of the moment, but publicly and then continuously. For that we must first of all, by way of common agreement, precisely formulate the essence of our principles, we must put them in the form of a commonly agreed upon, completely clear declaration in such a way that they cease to be worthless, obscure, and easily discarded abstractions, but become a completely defined, concrete banner, a real (and for people with freedom of religion even official and heritable) link between those people who adhere to them.

Desiring to initiate the preparation of that kind of common agreement, I now ask that everyone who approves of the essence of those principles, which I provisionally name "Homaranism", please let yourself be known to me by filling out and sending to me the text of the letter given at the end of this brochure. I ask also that you inform as many people as possible of the contents of this brochure.

When it becomes evident that the number of people who approve of Homaranism is large enough for us to effectively begin real work, then we will arrange the first congress of Homaranists. That congress will once and for all discuss the whole idea of Homaranism and all of its details and by common consent will establish the definitive text of the "Declaration of Homaranism" and the initial stages of our future work. Because the goal of Homaranism is to give not some ephemeral theory, but something practical and lasting, one of the chief tasks of that congress will be: give Homaranism a kind of form such that it, in a way similar to religious and ethnic entities, will be able to become a thing that is automatically inherited. The arrangement of this congress will be taken up by the Swiss friends of the Homaranist idea. Regarding the exact date and location, everyone will be informed when the time comes.

To organize and facilitate the work of the congress and to give all of the future attendees the opportunity to think about the themes to be discussed beforehand, to the congress will be presented the "Example text of the declaration of Homaranism" printed below, which will serve as a guiding basis for the work of the congress. Each paragraph will be discussed separately and in detail and by common consent will be made each change, deletions and additions, that is shown to be useful. It should be remembered that the here-given Example Declaration is only a project, that binds no one; that if someone approves of the general essence of Homaranism according the the here-given Example Declaration, that doesn't mean he is bound by the details: if he does not like the final text of the Declaration, which will be established by the congress, or the way in which it is decided to realize the Declaration, he will have every right to not commit to it.

Homaranism should not be mistakenly confused with the so called cosmopolitanism; nor should it mistakenly be thought that, in its battle against the ethnic divisions that sharply divide humanity, Homaranism wants to kill the existing languages and religious beliefs. In the same way that honest patriotism, inspiring the citizen to strive for complete solidarity and brotherhood among countrymen, does not at all prohibit a person from loving his own city more than another city in his country, or his family more than another family, or from speaking at home in his particular dialect and having in his heart his private beliefs, neither does Homaranism demand of its partisan that he reject his completely natural love for his homeland, his native or preferred language, or his faithfulness to his religious belief: it asks only that he keep all of this for himself and that he do not impose his ethnic or other interests on other people; that he not view as a high virtue worthy of cultivation by whatever means necessary, that which sadly disunites people; that out of his however natural, but still only self-serving preferences, he make for himself neither an idol, nor a war flag.

From the moment when people force themselves to put their personal and family ideals below the ideals of their ethnic group, from the mutually conflicting individuals and families little by little are formed strong, unified peoples; the more people who force themselves to put their ethnic ideals below the ideals of humanity, the more rapidly from the mutually conflicting ethnic groups will grow, little by little, a powerful and harmoniously working humanity.

L. L. Zamenhof

Example text of the Declaration of Homaranism

I am a Homaranist; that means that by complete public subscription to the Declaration of Homaranism I accepted for myself the following principles:

1.
I am a human and regard the entirety of humanity as one family; the division of humanity into various mutually hostile ethnicities and ethno-religious communities I regard as one of the greatest tragedies, which sooner or later must disappear and whose disappearance by natural and peaceful means I must accelerate as much as I can.

2.
I see in every human just a human, and I judge every human only by his personal merit and acts; every kind of offense or oppression against someone because has a different ethnicity, a different language, a different religion, or a different social class than I do, I regard as a barbarity.
I understand that everyone alive has equal right to every blessing of life according only to his merits and independent of who his parents were or how powerful he is; but I understand that moral and material inequality among people must be fought not by unjust means or brute physical force, but only by striving peacefully to improve societal laws and institutions.

3.
I understand that every country belongs not to this or that ethnicity, but completely equally to all of its native and naturalized inhabitants whatever their supposed origin, language, religion or social role; the identification of the interests of a country with the interests of this or that ethnicity or religion and the pretext of historical rights that permit one people in the country to reign over the other peoples and refuse to them the most elementary and natural right, the right to their homeland, I regard as the remnants of barbarous times, when there was only the law of fist and sword.

4.
I understand that every state and province must carry a neutral geographical name, and not the name of an ethnicity, language, or religion, because ethnic names, which many countries have, are the primary reason why the inhabitants of one supposed origin there regard themselves as masters over the inhabitants of a different origin and the most natural children of one country are tied to the interests of another country, which is for them completely foreign. Until such a time as all lands officially receive neutral names, I must at least in specifically Homaranist documents name them according to Homaranist principles, for example according to their capital city together with the word "state", "province", "region" etc., or in some other way mutually accepted by the Homaranists.

5.
I understand that in his private life, every human has the full and indisputable right to speak whichever language or dialect is most pleasing to him, and confess the religion that is most pleasing to him, but in communication with people with different languages or religions he must avoid, as much as possible, the imposition of his ethnic or religious customs, using a neutral language, neutral ethics and customs, a neutral calendar, etc. Until those neutral customs are determined for the whole world, I must at least in specifically Homaranist interactions use the customs which have been agreed upon among the Homaranists. I understand that wherever inter-ethnic conflict does not exist, for inhabitants of the same state or region the role of neutral language may be taken by the state language or the cultural language spoken by the large majority of the local inhabitants, but that must be regarded merely as a concession to convenience of the minority to the majorit, not as a humble tribute owed by a subservient ethnicity to a master ethnicity.

6.
Because I understand that mutual struggle among people will never cease until people get used to establishing the name "human" higher than the name of an ethnicity, and because the too-imprecise word "people" often causes hateful divisions among children of the same country or even the same ethnicity, for those reasons when asked which people I belong to, I will respond: "I am a Homaranist"; only when I am asked specifically about my country, province, language, or supposed origin, will I give a precise response. But whenever it would be suspected that I might want to hide my origin or neglect my civic duty, I will define my ethnological details in more detail, saying that, by my origin I belong to this or that ethnicity, by my citizenship I belong to this or that country and by my convictions I am a Homaranist.

7.
I can call my homeland only that country where I was born and where am a permanent resident. If for some reason the country where I was born is not the same as the country of my permanent residence, I can use for them the expressions "physical homeland" or "land of birth", and "political homeland" or "house land". I must never give the name homeland to some other country just because it was ruled by my ancient ancestors, or that many members of my ethnicity live there, no matter what kind of powerful allure that country has for me, because such a name would be a sin against the principle of ownership of each country by the current residents, and a misunderstanding of my civic duties. But because, due to political, historical, ethnographic, and geographic reasons, the concept of a country and its borders is too imprecise and ephemeral, and often gives cause to constant disputes and conflict, for those reasons when defining the country that I call my homeland, I must be guided not by personal or ethnic taste, but only by that Homaranically unbiased, equal in all places and circumstances, principle which is established by the common consent of all Homaranists. Until the time when that principle is definitively established by the Homaranists, I can in every doubtful occasion, instead of the imprecise word "homeland", use the more precis expressions: "home city", "home region", "home state", etc.

8.
Patriotism is the name I give to the service of the good of all my countrymen, and particularly of those from my city, whatever their origin, language, religion, or social role. The service of the interests of one specific ethnicity, or the hate of people outside my household, I must never call patriotism. I understand that deep love for one's place of birth and one's home is completely natural and common to all people and that only unusual outside circumstances can paralyze that natural feeling. For that reason, if in my home all labor is exploited for the convenience or glory of just one specific ethnicity, and that paralyzes my struggle for social labor, I must never lose hope, but I must console myself with the belief that the unusual state in my home sooner or later will pass and my children will enjoy that empowering feeling, which by no fault of my own, fortune has denied to me.

9.
I understand that the love which each person has for the language or dialect in which his mother spoke to him or in which he received his education is totally natural and I must never fight against that feeling or offend its expression in other people. But, understanding that language must be for man not an end, but only a means, not a tool for division, but a tool for unity, and that language chauvinism is one of the main causes of hate among people, I must not make any language my cause solely for ethnic motives. When someone asks me specifically about my native language, I will name, without some kind of ethnic, political, or opportunistic bias, only that language or dialect that I spoke in my childhood with my parents, all the same whether it belongs to my ethnicity or not; when I am asked about which language I speak most often, speak best, or prefer to use, I will without some kind of chauvinistic bias respond truthfully; but when I am asked which language I call mine according to my convictions and ideals, I must give a response based only on that principle which according to the common decision of all Homaranists is accepted as conforming most to Homaranist convictions. Until such a time as that principle is definitively established, I can give whatever response is dictated to me by my personal Homaranist sentiment.

10.
Understanding that religion must only be matter of sincere belief, but must not be used to create divisions among ethnicities, I call mine only that religion, which I actually believe. But whatever my religion, I practice it according to the neutrally human homaranistic principles which consist as follows:

a) The highest, for me incomprehensible Power, which is the cause of all causes in the material and moral world, I can name with the name "God", or some other name, but I understand that everyone has the right to interpret for themselves the essence of this Power, according to his own judgement and heart, or the teachings of his church. I must never hate, mock, or persecute someone based on his beliefs about God and about the most important problems of existence being different from mine.

b) I understand that the essential commands of the highest Power are written in the heart of every human in the form of his conscience, and that the primary principle of these orders which is incumbent on all people is: treat other people as you would like other people to treat you; everything else in religion I regard as additions which every person, according to his belief has a right to see as either words of God that he must obey, or as human commentary which mixed with legends were given to us by humanity's great teachers of various ethnicities, and as norms which are established by men and whose fulfillment or nonfulfillment depends on our preference.

c) Understanding that the voice of conscience is easily heard only when one exercises it, I must -- if I can -- belong to some kind of Homaranist group and in its meetings participate in the theoretical exploration and practical application of various ethical problems according to the spirit of Homaranism.

d) I understand that nothing so strongly divides humanity as the ethnically-inherited differences of religious framework and the conventions, education, customs, lifestyle, and sympathies based on it. For that reason if I believe in the particular dogmas of one of the existing religions, I must belong to it independent of whether or not my ancestors belonged to it; but if I do not believe in any of the existing dogmatic religions, I must not adhere to one solely for ethnic motivations, and by my adherence deceive people about my convictions and hereditarily feed for endless generations interethnic separation, but I must either officially call myself religionless, or officially belong to that neutral religion which is unassociated with any ethnicity or any controversial doctrine, which little by little by common consent all freethinking Homaranists will work out for themselves, I must completely and hereditarily accept for myself its name, its ethical rules, conventions, holidays, and community arrangements. If I am a freethinker, but where I live there still doesn't exist a well organized neutrally religious community which I can join to the full contentment of my soul and that of my family, I can provisionally remain subscribed to that religion in which I was born, but to show the nature of my personal convictions, I must always append to its name that religious name which has been accepted for themselves by common consent by all freethinking Homaranists.

Whoever approves of the essence of Homaranism, is asked to complete and send to Dr. L.L. Zamenhof (Warsaw, Królewska street N. 41) the following letter:

I, the undersigned, make it known that:
1) I approve of the chief essence of the "Example text of the Declaration of Homaranism", but I reserve the right to not consent to individual details.
2) My full name is:
3) My address is:
4) My profession is:
5) I was born in the year:
6) I was born in the religion:
7) By my personal religious convictions I am:

Signed:

One can receive this brochure from Dr. L.L. Zamenhof. The price of 10 units is 25 centimes (or 20 pfennigs); with postage the price is double.



Reference:
L.L Zamenhof. 2006. Mi Estas Homo. Compiled and Edited by Aleksander Korjenkov. Kalingrad: Sezonoj
pgs. 235-242







Original text:

Someone in the comments asked for the original text in Esperanto, so I've transcribed it here from the above reference. I typed it out pretty quickly, so there might be some errors.


Sub la nomo “Homaranismo” (el la Esperanta vorto “Homarano”, kium signifas: “Membro de la homa familio”) mi volas paroli pri strebado al “homeco”, al forigo de la intergenta malamo kaj maljusteco kaj al tia vivmaniero, kiu iom post iom povus konduki ne teorie, sed praktike al spirita unuiĝo de la homaro. [Mi petas pardonon, ke mi uzas vorton el la lingvo Esperanto, ĉar en la naturaj lingvoj mi ne povis trovi taŭgan esprimon, sed la nomo, kiun mi uzis, estas nur provizora, – la definitivan nomon de la ideo, pri kiu mi parolas starigos poste la amikoj de tiu ideo mem.]

Ĉar oni min konas kiel zŭtoron de la lingvo Esperanto, tial multaj personoj eble identigos la Homaranismon kun la afero de Esperanto; tio tamen estus eraro. Dum la esenco de Esperanto estas politike kaj religie absolute indiferenta kaj la interna Esperantisma ideo prezentas nur nedifinitan fratecan senton kaj esperon, kiujn ĉiu esperantisto havas plenan rajton ne sole komentarii al si tiel, kiel li volas, sed eĉ ĝenerale akcepti aŭ ne akcepti ilin,-- la Homaranismo estas speciala kaj tute difinita politika-religia programo, kiu prezentas mian kredon pure privatan kaj aliajn esperantistojn tite ne koncernas.

Sed se en rilato al Esperanto mia politika-religia kredo estas mia afero tute persona, en ĉiuj aliaj rilatoj ĝi havas en si absolute nenion personan. Tio, kon mi nomas “Homaranismo”, ne estas io nova, elpensita de mi persone; ĝi prezentas principaron, kiun – eble en malsama detala formo, sed proksimume en la sama esenco – jam de longe konfesis kaj konfesas en sia koro multaj homoj el ĉiuj tempoj, landoj kaj gentoj. Al tiuj homoj mi nun min turnas.

Ni ĉiuj konscias, ke ni apartenas al unu granda familio, kies bonstato devas esti por ni kara; ni ĉiuj konscias, ke la malamo kaj maljusteco inter l homaj gentoj estas afero tre malbona kaj malbela; ni ĉiuj volas esti ne ŝovinismaj “gentanoj”, sed nur “homoj” kaj honestaj civitanoj de niaj landoj. Sed por ke niaj principoj havu ian realan valoron kaj povu alporti iajn fruktojn, estas necese, ke ni ilin konfesu ne kaŝite kaj ŝanĝiĝante laŭ la bezonoj de la momento, sed publike kaj sekve daŭre. Por tio ni devas antaŭ ĉio per komuna interkonsiliĝo precize formuli la esencon de niaj principoj, doni al ili la karakteron de interkonsente akceptita tute klara deklaracio en tia maniero, ke ili ĉesu esti senvalora, nebula kaj facile forfluganta abstraktaĵo, sed fariĝu tute difinita, konkreta standardo, reala (kaj por la liberrligiuloj eĉ oficiala kaj heredebla) ligilo inter tiuj homoj, kiuj al ili aliĝis.

Dezirante iniciati la preparadon de tia interkonsiliĝo, mi nun petas, ke ĉiu, kiu aprobas la esencon de tiuj principoj, kiujn mi provizore nomis “Homaranismo”, volu min sciigi pri si , plenigante kaj sendante al mi la tekston de la letero, aldonita en la fino de ĉi tiu broŝuro. Mi petas ankaŭ, ke li sciigu la enhavon de ĉi tiu broŝuro al kiom eble pli da aliaj personoj.

Kiam montriĝos, ke la nombro de la aprobantoj de la Homaranismo estas sufiĉe granda, por ke ni povu kun efiko komenci realan laboron, tiam ni aranĝos la unuan kongreson de la Homaranoj. Tiu kongreso mature pridiskutos la tutan Homaranisman ideon kaj ĉiujn ĝiajn detalojn kaj per komuna interkonsento starigos la definitivan tekston de la “Deklaracio pri Homaranismo” kaj la komencan programon de niaj estontaj laboroj. Ĉar la celo de la Homaranismo estas doni ne ian efemeran teoriaĵon, sed ion praktikan kaj daŭran, tial unu el la ĉefaj taskoj de tiu kongreso estos: doni al la Homaranismo tian formon, ke ĝi, simile al apartaĵoj religigiaj aŭ gentaj, povu fariĝi afero aŭtomate hereda. La aranĝon de tiu kongreso prenis sur sin la Svisaj amikoj de la Homaranisma ideo. [Se granda nombro da aliĝoj venos sufiĉe frue, por ke oni povu ĉion bone prepari, la kongreso okazos en la komenco de Aŭgosto 1917.] [La frazo inter la rektaj krampoj estis trastrekita] Pri la preciza dato kaj loko ĉiuj estos siatempe sciigitaj.

Por ordigi kaj faciligi la laboron de la kongreso kaj por doni al ĉiu partoprenonto la eblon antaŭe pripensi la pridiskutotajn temojn, al la kongreso estos prezentita la malsupre presita “Ekzempla teksto de la deklaracio pri Homaranismo”, kiu servos kiel gvidanta bazo por la laboroj de la kongreso. Oni pridiskutos aparte kaj detale ĉiun paragrafon kaj per komuna interkonsento faros en la Ekzempla Deklaracio ĉiujn ŝanĝojn, elĵetojn aŭ aldonojn, kiuj montriĝos utilaj. Oni memoru, ke la nun donata Ekzempla Deklaracio estas nur projekto, kiu neniun ligas; ke se iu aprobas la ĝeneralan esencon de la Homaranismo laŭ la nun donata Ekzempla Deklaracio, li per tio tute sin ne ligas koncerne la detalojn: se la definitivo deksto de la Deklaracio, kiun starigos la kongreso, aŭ la maniero, en kiu oni decidos ĝin realigi, al li ne plaĉos, li havos plenan rajton ne aliĝi al ĝi.

Oni ne intermiksu erare la Homaranismon kun la tiel nomata kosmopolitismo; oni ankaŭ ne pensu tute erare, ke batalante kontraŭ la akre disiga genta divideco de la homaro, la Homaranismo volas mortigi la ekzistantajn lingvojn kaj religiajn kredojn. Kiel honesta patriotismo, instigante la civitanon strebi al plena unuanimeco kaj frateco inter liaj samlandanoj, tute ne malpermesas al li ami sianurbon pli ol la aliajn urbojn de sia lando, sian familion pli ol la aliajn, paroli hejme sian specialan dialekton kaj havi en sia koro sian orivatan kredon, tiel la Homaranismo tute ne postulas de sia partiano, ke li forrifuzu sian tute naturan amon al sia patrujo, al sia gepatra aŭ eduka lingvo, sian fidelecon al sia religia kredo: ĝi postulas nur, ke li knoservu ĉion ĉi tion por si mem, ke li ne altrudu siajn gentajn aŭ aliajn apartaĵojn al aliaj homoj; ke tion kio malfeliĉe disigias la homojn, li ne rigardu kiel altan, ĉiuforte kultivindan virton: ke el siaj kvankam naturaj, sed tamen ja nur egoismaj preferoj li ne faru al si idolon nek batalan standardon.

De la momento, kiam la homoj devigis sin submeti siajn personajn kaj familiajn idealojn al la idealoj de gento, el la reciproke batalantaj individuoj kaj familioj iom post iom fariĝis fortaj unuanimaj popoloj; ju pli multe da homoj devigos sin submeti siajn gentajn idealojn al la idealoj homaraj, des pli rapide el la reciproke batalantaj gentoj iom post iom kreiĝos potenca kaj konkorde laboranta homaro.

L.L. Zamenhof

Ekzempla teksto de Deklaracio pri Homaranismo

Mi estas Homarano; tio signifas, ke per plenforma publika aliĝo al la Deklaracio pri Homaranismo mi akceptis por mi la sekvantajn principojn:

1.
Mi estas homo, kaj la tutan homaron mi rigardas kiel unu familion; la dividitecon de la homaro en diversajn reciproke malamikajn gentojn kaj gent-religiajn komunumojn mi rigardas kiel unu el la plej grandaj malfeliĉoj,kiu pli aŭ malpli frue devas malaperi kaj kies malaperon per vojo natura kaj sen perforteco mi devas akceladi laŭ mia povo.

2.
Mi vidas en ĉiu homo hur homon, kaj mi taksas ĉiun homon nur laŭ lia persona valoro kaj agoj; ĉian ofendadon aŭ premadon de homo pro tio, ke li apartenas al alia gento, alia lingvo, alia religio aŭ alia socia klaso ol mi, mi rigardas kiel barbarecon.

Mi konscias, ke pri ĉiuj bonaĵoj de la vivo ĉiuj vivantoj havas egalan rajton proporcie nur al siaj meritoj kaj sendepende de tio, de kiaj gepatroj iu naskiĝis aŭ kiajn fortojn li havas; sed mi konscias, ke la morala kaj materiala malegaleco inter la homoj devas esti kontraŭbatalata ne per maljusteco aŭ per kruda fizika forto, sed nur per paca strebado al plibonigado de la sociaj leĝoj kaj institucioj.

3.
Mi konscias, ke ĉiu lando apartenas ne al tiu aŭ alia gento, sed plene egalrajte al ĉiuj siaj naturaj aŭ naturigitaj loĝantoj, kian ajn supozatan devenon, lingvon, religion aŭ socian rolon ili havas; la identigadon de la interesoj de lando kun la interesoj de tiu aŭ alia gento aŭ religio kaj la pretekstadon de iaj historiaj rajtoj, kiuj permesas al unu gento en la lando regi super la aliaj gentoj kaj forrifuzi al ili la plej elementan kaj naturan rajton, la rajton je la patrujo, mi rigardas kiel restaĵon el la rempoj barbaraj, kiam ekzistis nur rajto de pugno kaj glavo.

4.
Mi konscias, ke ĉiu regno kaj ĉiu provinco devas porti nomon neŭtrale-geografian, sed ne la nomon de ia gento, lingvo aŭ religio, ĉar la gentaj nomoj, kiujn portas multaj landoj, estas la ĉefa kaŭzo, pro kiu la loĝantoj de unu supozata deveno tie rigardas sin kiel mastrojn super la loĝantoj de alia deveno kaj plej naturaj filoj de unu lando estas ligitaj kun la interesoj de alia lando, kiu estas por ili tute fremda. Ĝis la tempo, kiam tiuj landoj ricevos oficiale nomojn neŭtralajn, mi devas almenaŭ en la dokumentoj speciale Homaranaj nomadi ilin laŭ principo Homarana, ekzemple laŭ ilia ĉefurbo kun aldono de la vorto “regno”, “provinco”, “regiono” k.t.p., aŭ en alia maniero, interkonsente akceptita de la Homaranoj.

5.
Mi konscias, ke en sia privata vivo ĉiu homo havas plenan kaj nedisputeblan rajton paroli tiun lingvon aŭ dialekton, kiu estas al li plej agrabla, kaj konfesi tiun religion, kiu plej multe lin kontentigas, sed en komunikiĝado kun homoj de aliaj lingvoj aŭ religioj li devas kiom eble eviti la altrudadon de siaj gentaj aŭ religiaj apartaĵoj, uzante lingvon neŭtralan etikon kaj morojn neŭtralajn, kalendaron neŭtralan k.t.p. Tiel longe, kiel la demando pri tiuj neŭtralaĵoj ne estas definitive solvita de la tuta mondo, mi devas almenaŭ en la interrilatoj speciale Homaranaj uzadi ilin en tiu formo, kiun interkonsente akceptis por ili la Homaranoj. Mi konscias, ke tie, kie ne ekzistas intergenta batalado, por samregnanoj kaj samurbanoj la rolon de lingvo neŭtrala povas ludi la lingvo regna aŭ tiu kultura linvgo, kiun parolas la grandega plimulto de la lokaj loĝantoj, sed ke tio devas esti rigardata nur kiel poroportuneca cedo de la malplimulto al la plimulto, sed ne kiel ia humiliga tributo, kiun ŝuldas gentoj mastrataj al gento mastranta.

6.
Ĉar mi konscias, ke la reciproka malpaco inter la homoj neniam ĉesos, ĝis la homoj alkultimiĝos starigi la nomon “homo” pli alte ol la nomon de gento, kaj ĉar la tro malpreciza vorto “popolo” ofte malame dividas inter si la filojn de la sama lando aŭ eĉ de sama gento, tial je la demando, al kiu popolo mi min alkalkulas, mi respondas: “mi estas Homarano”; nur tiam, kiam oni min demandas speciale pri mia regno, provinco, lingvo aŭ supozata deveno, mi donas pri tio precizajn respondojn. Sed en ĉiuj okazoj, kiam oni povus suspekti, ke mi volas kaŝi mian devenon aŭ forrifuzi miajn civitanajn devojn, mi dfinias mian etnologian esencon pli detale, dirante, ke laŭ mia deveno mi apartenas al tiu-tiu gento, laŭ mia civitaneco mi apartenas al tiu-tiu lando kaj laŭ miaj konvinkoj mi estas Homarano.

7.
Mia patrujo mi povas nomi nur tiun landon, en kiu mi naskiĝis kaj en kiu mi estas fikshejma loĝanto. Se pro ia kaŭzo la lando de mia naskiĝo ne estas identa kun la lando de mia konstanta loĝado, mi povas uzi por ili la esprimojn “fizika patrujo” aŭ “naskiĝlando” kaj “politika patrujo” aŭ “hejmolando”. Nomi mia patrujo ian alian landon nur pro tio, ke tie regis miaj prapatroj aŭ ke tie plej multe loĝas mia gento, mi neniam devas, kian ajn fortan ĉarmon tiu lando havus por mi, ĉar tia nomado estus peko kontraŭ la principo pri apartenado de ĉiu lando al ĝiaj efektivaj loĝantoj kaj konfuzo kontraŭ miaj civitanaj devoj. Sed ĉar pro kaŭzoj politikaj, historiaj, etnografiaj kaj geografiaj la ideo pri lando kaj ĝiaj limoj estas tro nepreciza kaj ŝanceliĝanta kaj ofte donas kaŭzon al konstantaj disputoj kaj malpaco, tial ĉe la difinado de tiu lando, kiun mi nomas mia patrujo, mi devas min gvidi ne per persona aŭ genta gusto, sed sole nur per tiu Homarane senpartia, por ĉiuj lokoj kaj cirkonstancoj egala principo, kiu estas starigita per komuna interkonsento de ĉiuj Homaranoj. Ĝis la tempo, kiam tiu principo estos definitive starigita de la Homaranoj, mi povas en ĉiu duba okazo anstataŭ la nepreciza vorto “patruijo” uzi la pli precizajn esprimojn: “patruja urbo”, “patruja regiono”, “patruja regno” k.t.p.

8.
Patriotismo mi nomas la servadon al la bono de ĉiuj maij samlandanoj kaj precipe de miaj samurbanoj, kian ajn devenon, lingvon, religion, aŭ socian rolon ili havas. La servadon speciale al la interesoj de unu gento aŭ la malamon kontraŭ alihejmanoj mi neniam devas nomi patriotismo. Mi knoscias, ke profunda amo al sia naskiĝloko kaj al sia hejmo estas afero tute natura kaj komuna al ĉiuj homoj kaj ke nur nenormalaj eksteraj cirkonstancoj povas paralizi tiun naturan senton. Tial se en mia hejmo ĉiuj laboroj estas eksplutataj por la oportuneco aŭ gloro de nur unu speciala gento kaj tio paralizas mian strebadon al socia laborado, mi ne devas malesperi, sed mi devas min konsoli per la kredo, ke nenormala stato en mia hejmo pli aŭ malpli frue pasos kaj miaj infanoj ĝuos tiun fortigan senton, kiun al mi sen mia kulpo la sorto rifuzis.

9.
Mi konscias, ke la amo, kiun ĉiu homo havas por la lingvo aŭ dialekto, enkiu parolis al li lia patrino aŭ en kiu li ricevis sian edukon, estas sento tute natura, kaj mi neniam devas kontraŭbatali tiun senton nek ofendi ĝin ĉe alia homo. Sed, konsciante, ke lingvo devas esti por la homo ne celo, sed nur rimedo, ne disigilo, sed unuigilo, kaj ke la lingva ŝovinismo estas unu el la ĉefaj kaŭzoj de malamo inter la homoj, mi el neniu lingvo devas fari mian standardon sole pro motivoj gentaj. Kiam oni min demandas speciale pri mia lingvo gepatra, mi nomas sen ia genta, politika aŭ oportunisma tendenco nur tiun lingvon aŭ dialekton, en kiu mi en mia infaneco parolis kun miaj gepatroj, tute egale, ĉu ĝi apartenas al mia gento axu ne; kiam oni min demandas pri tio, kiun lingvon mi plej ofte parolas, plej bone posedas aŭ plej volonte uzas, mi sen ia ŝovinisma tendenco donas pri tio verajn respondojn; sed kiam on min demandas, kiun lingvon mi nomas mia laŭ miaj konvinkoj kaj idealoj, mi devas doni respondon bazitan nur sur tiu principo, kiu laŭ la komuna decido de ĉiuj Homaranoj estas akceptita kiel plej konforma al la Homaranismaj konvinkoj. Ĝis la tempo, kiam tiu principo estos definitive starigita, mi povas doni tian respondon, kian diktas al mi mia persona Homaranisma sento.

10.
Konsciante, ke religio devas esti nur afero de sincera kredo, sed ne ludi la rolon de genta disigilo, mi nomas mia nur tiun religion, je kiu mi efektive kredas. Sed kia ajn estas mia religio, mi ĝin konfesas laŭ la neŭtrale-homaj principoj Homaranaj, kiuj konsistas en jeno:

a) La plej altan, por mi ne kompreneblan Forton, kiu estas la kaŭzo de la kaŭzoj en la mondo materia kaj morala, mi povas nomi per la nomo “Dio” aŭ per alia nomo, sed mi konscias, ke la esencon de tiu Forto ĉiu havas la rajton prezenti al si tiel, kiel diktas al li lia prudento kaj koro aŭ la instruoj de lia eklezio. Neniam mi devas malami, moki aŭ persekuti iun pro tio, ke lia kredo pri Dio kaj pri la plej gravaj problemoj de la estado estas alia ol mia.

b) Ni konscias, ke la esencaj ordonoj de la plej alta Forto estas enskribitaj en la koro de ĉiu homo sub la formo de konscienco kaj ke la ĉefa, por ĉiuj homoj deviga principo de tiuj ordonoj estas: agu kun aliuloj tiel, kiel vi dezirus, ke aliuloj agu kun vi; ĉiun alian en la religio mi rigardas kiel aldonojn, kiujn ĉiu homo konforme al sia kredo, havas la rajton rigardi aŭ kiel devigajn por li dirojn de Dio, aŭ kiel homajn komentariojn, kiujn miksite kun legendoj donis al ni diversgentaj grandaj instruintoj de la homaro, kaj kiel morojn, kiuj estas starigitaj de homoj kaj kies plenumado aŭ neplenumado dependas de nia volo.
c) Konsciante, ke la voĉo de la konscienco estas bone aŭdebla nur tiam, kiam oni ĝin ekzercas, mi devas – se tio estas por mi farebla – aparteni al ia grupo Homarana kaj en ĝiaj kunvenoj partoprenadi en la teoria esplorado kaj praktika aplikado de diversaj etikaj problemoj konforme al la spirito de la Homaranismo.

d) Mi konscias, ke nenio tiel forte dividas la homojn, kiel la gente-hereda malsameco de religia kadro kaj de la sur ĝi bazitaj moroj, eduko, kutimoj, vivaranĝoj kaj simpatioj. Tial se mi kredas je la specialaj dogmoj de iu el la ekzistantaj religioj, mi ne devas resti en iu el ili sole pro motivoj gentaj, per mia restado erarigi la homojn pri miaj konvinkoj kaj herede nutri por senfinaj generacioj intergentan disecon, sed mi devas aŭ oficiale nomi min senreligiulo, aŭ oficiale aparteni al tiu neŭtrala, kun neniu gento kaj kun neniu disputebla doktrino ligita religio, kiun iom post iom per komuna interkonsento ellaboras por si ĉiuj liberkredaj Homaranoj, mi devas plenforme kaj heredeble akcepti por mi ĝian nomon, ĝiajn etikajn regulojn, morojn, festojn kaj komunumajn aranĝojn. Se mi estas liberkredulo, sed en mia loĝloko ne ekzistas ankoraŭ plenforme kaj bonorde organizita komunumo neŭtralreligia, al kiu mi povus aliĝi kun plena anima kontenteco por mi kaj por mia familio, mi povas provizore resti alskribita al tiu religio, en kiu mi naskiĝis, sed, por montri, kiaj estas miaj personaj konvinkoj, mi devas ĉiam aldoni al ĝia nomo tiun religian nomon, kiun interkonsente akceptis por si ĉiuj liberkredaj Homaranoj.

Kiu aprobas la esencon de la Homaranismo, estas petata plenigi kaj sendi al d-ro L.L. Zamenhof (Varsovio, strato Krolewksa N. 41) la Sekvantan leteron
...
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm very interested in finding the original Esperanto version of this text, but I can't seem to find the book referenced. Do you know if the Esperanto from Aleksander Korjenkov's text is available anywhere online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Specifically, I can find many versions online where item "7" is only about one third the length. I'm looking for the original text for that item.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if it's available online. I used a hard copy of the book. My copy is at my parents' house, so if you can wait until Christmas when I visit them, I can scan that chapter and send it to you.

      If you need it sooner than that, that's probably possible too, just a little bit more hassle.

      Delete
    3. No rush. That would be incredible, thank you so much!

      Delete
    4. Ok, I went ahead and typed it all out from my hard copy of the book and added it to the end of the post above. I didn't proof read it at all, so there might be some errors or skipped/repeated lines. I scanned the pages also, so if you suspect an error, I can double check it (or send you the scans).

      Delete